'Oeko,' or 'house' is the Greek root of the word 'ecology.' Here are my thoughts as I search for home.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Making it Happen


Enough hemming and hawing -- I'm just going to write.

I was going to call this blog "Oekologie," the original Greek spelling of the word "ecology," which literally means "study of the house." I like that definition because it explains why the natural world is so important to me; it is my home. It also affirms my current obsession with self-sufficiency and my efforts to nourish my own immediate ecosystem, justifying why my living room smells like worm compost and deer hide, my fridge is full of stinging nettles, and my kitchen countertops are a mini-laboratory of culturing kefir and rising sourdough bread.

But a quick google search revealed that there's already some kind of blog festival called Oekologie, so I had to throw that title out. It was a premature title anyway, since at the moment I don't feel I have a very complete home to study yet. I'm more in the process of creating my ecosystem, deciding where it is and what it means to inhabit it, and how I can economically (another oeko-word . . . curious) support myself while I putter about planting garlic and pickling fiddlehead ferns.

In college I studied ecology, but now I'm searching for home. I'm an Oekoseeker. I'm sure my writings here will wander outside of any parameters I might set for myself, but they will all be, in some way, an expression of my oekoseeking.


Chicklets Dundee and Penguin, the newest additions to my oeko-system.

No comments:

Post a Comment